Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    "aspirin" used to be a Bayer trademark...

    as did others...


    http://theformofmoney.blogharbor.com/OpiumBayer.gif
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Exactly.

    "Aquaplas" isn't listed at the USPTO as a registered trade name for an acoustic product, even as a long-dead one. It was the product formulation that was protected under patent law for a period.

    Added;
    Don't be surprised if "AntiVibe" changes name again, especially if Stanley finds it in competition with its' trade name hammer handles.

    People put waaay too much faith in a name.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Exactly.

    It was the product formulation that was protected under patent law for a period.
    By Who? Didn't JBL use it too?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    By Who? Didn't JBL use it too?
    By whoever held the patent. JBL used it, others used it, anyone could use it that wanted to buy some. They just couldn't make it and sell it themselves.

    The same was true for Kapton (polymide) coil forms for a while. And lots of other things.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Ok, I see....... It seems like this may be either a corporate purchase/sale situation, or a Klenex-tissue/Scotch-tape situation. .......or a little of both.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Ok, I see....... It seems like this may be either a corporate purchase/sale situation, or a Klenex-tissue/Scotch-tape situation. .......or a little of both.
    That's pretty close.

    GPA made diaphragms using old Altec tooling and methods after the parent company quit doing it. They don't carry the Altec name, but what does it matter?

    Actually, it does seem to matter to the buying public, due to their tendency to attach themselves to particular names. Some would buy a vintage horn over a new one because it has "real" Aquaplas. Just proves the old adage "A fool and his money are some party".

    Added
    (and why corporations are willing to pay for familiar trade names).
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    (and why corporations are willing to pay for familiar trade names).
    Exactly, And you could say why "Spark-O-Matic" bought the Altec Lansing name.It wasn't because they made great speakers or had a great line of products it was for reputation only.As people associated Altec with quality something they couldn't do on their own.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    So has anyone here sprayed this stuff? The PDF that I read speaks of a 3/4" line with a 1/4" nozzle, but that doesn't mean much to me. What kind of sprayer would have a 1/4" nozzle?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  9. #9
    HB Super Moderator
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    So has anyone here sprayed this stuff? The PDF that I read speaks of a 3/4" line with a 1/4" nozzle, but that doesn't mean much to me. What kind of sprayer would have a 1/4" nozzle?
    A reverse-a-clean spray gun airless sprayer.If that is any help I was looking for it myself.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    So-Called 511E's on the Bay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: So-Called 511E's on the Bay

    Makes me wonder...there are cheap guns for spraying wall texture...

    I honestly don't know if this would work...but when you mentioned the 1/4" nozzle...

    Texture Paint Spray Gun

    Three nozzle sizes: 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16"
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.